Aesthetic Medicine

Aesthetic Medicine

Aesthetic medicine is an inclusive term for specialties that focus on improving cosmetic appearance through the treatment of conditions including scars, skin laxity, wrinkles, moles, liver spots, excess fat, cellulite, unwanted hair, skin discoloration, and spider veins.

  • In the US, there were more than 11 million aesthetic procedures performed from 2012-2013, and 83.5% of the procedures were nonsurgical.
  • In the UK, there were 50,000 cosmetic surgery procedures performed in 2013-2014.
  • Surgical aesthetic procedures account for 10% of the cosmetic procedures in the UK, and non surgical techniques constitute the remaining 90%.
  • In the US, the top 5 surgical aesthetic procedures were 1) Liposuction 2) Breast augmentation 3) Blepharoplasty 4) Abdominoplasty 5) Rhinoplasty
  • In the US, the top 5 nonsurgical aesthetic procedures were 1) Botulinum Toxin 2) Hyaluronic acid 3) Laser hair removal 4) Microdermabrasion 5) Photorejuvenation

In the United States, medical aesthetics procedures include non-laser tattoo reversal, scar reduction and clinical skin care protocols.  Medical Aesthetics Protocols, 2014. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetic_medicine

Aesthetic Medicine is a developing clinical sub-specialty and field in scientific research aimed at the use of minimally invasive cosmetic treatments to enhance patients’ satisfaction with their physical appearance. This sub-specialty is no longer limited to the fields of plastic surgery and dermatology, as many specialties are offering aesthetic medical procedures in order to better accommodate their patients’ aesthetic needs. A growing trend among baby boomers is that aesthetic treatments are part of a normal health routine with the goal of maintaining a natural and healthy appearance. http://www.a4m.com/fellowship-aesthetic-overview-what-is-aesthetic-medicine.html